Hey all,
Because I am terrible with computers, the first post that I wrote went to the wrong blog (sorry). Anyway, I just had my second mentor session with Tim. It went rather well, in my humble opinion. We talked for a little while about one of his students that has cerebral palsy. For that session he said that the student needs to do everything on a laptop because he cannot write things down on paper. My suggestion for that was to tell the student that he should bring in a flash drive for the remainder of the session. The reason for this would be so that Tim could write comments on the student's paper in the notes section of Word. That way, the student would be able to take the comments and edits with him and work with a more manageable medium.
After talking about that situation, we got to talking, at length, about ESL students and how to handle a session with them. We talked about how it is no different from a regular session in that every single ESL session will go differently based on the student's grasp of the English language. I used an example from one of my recent sessions to illustrate the points and techniques that I told him about. (If anyone disagrees with me, let me know) When I approach an ESL session, I generally give the student more than I would an English speaker (just for reference). I then go through the rest of the mistakes (grammatical or otherwise) and have them figure out how to fix them based on the rules we just discussed or had previously discussed in past sessions.
This was really all we talked about this session. Little by little, we will tackle issues, questions, or situations as they arise until we have covered a wide variety of topics. (I know this is in the wrong spot, but deal with it) Usually (by that I mean the two sessions we've had) when we start the session, we talk about sessions we have had recently and what went well, or didn't, and why we thought so. That's it for now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Alex R,
ReplyDeleteWelcome--Nice Blog! Your instincts for the most part are quite correct--sensible solutions to common WC issues. In the future, it would be appreciated if you blogged in more detail about the dialogue between you and your mentee.
Here your contribution and mentoring seem successful--in the future if you need additional help other tutors are available to offer assistance:
LD--John Tooke
ESL-Hilja
Borislava
Tatjana
Steve