Hey all!
Today, I met with my new mentee Keenan. I have never met him before,(I KNOW!) so I took this time to get to know one another. After discussing biographies of each other, I asked him how his sessions are going. Keenan has two weekly students, both of which are older than him. He was worried that they would look at him differently since he is younger than them (almost as if they had seniority over him). I explained that we are students as well, we may be called consultants, but we are here to learn too. After that discussion, I asked how the sessions were overall - he said that they were good and he felt comfortable tutoring. Since his previous mentor was Brian, I plan on sitting in on one of his sessions (most likely his weekly apt. on Wed. @ 4)just to get a feel for his style.
After collaborating over sessions, etc., I encouraged him to ask questions or express his concerns to me or any other mentor/tutor.
Murrr,
Kendra
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Kendra,
ReplyDeleteSo far your work w/Keenan appears to be headed in the right direction. This situation, however, is rather unusual in having a new tutor working w/two(!) older students. Continue to observe the progress of these sessions, and be alert to the possibility that Keenan may be getting overwhelmed by working w/these students. If there are any signs that this is happening, please don't hesitate to contact either Brian or myself.
Steve