Friday, February 19, 2010

kendra's first blog post...booyah.

Hey Everyone!

Today was the first mentor meeting I had with Kathryn. I've been keeping tabs on her since she began tutoring on her own - she also has come to me with concerns, etc. Since she has been entered in time trade, she has been getting students. We collaborated about the two sessions she had (both drop-ins with scholarship essays). Kathryn said one session went really well, and the other was not so good - however, she does feel more comfortable since she experienced two very different sessions.

I have also talked with other mentees to see how their sessions have been going and all seem to feel comfortable tutoring.

That's all folks - Have a good weekend!
Kendra

2 comments:

  1. Kendra,
    It's good to hear that things are going smoothly w/you and Kathryn although it would have been nice to be more specific information about what concerns she had (and how you handled it). Also, more detailed information about the extent and content of your collaboration would have made a more substantial blog. You mention this collaboration but there remains uncertainty as to whether you were actually in the session w/Kathryn or mentoring ocurred afterwards. Such details are important not only to your mentoring efforts, but as information the entire group can share and benefit by.

    Of course w/so much down time this semester, there is no problem in shadowing your mentee(s)or co-tutoring if you see the need.

    Steve B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Steve,
    Kathryn was concerned about not being in Timetrade & coming in if she is sick. I handled this issue by explaining to her that I cannot control issues with time trade or her schedule, so, I encouraged her to talk to Nita. We work together on Fridays, and she has yet to have a weekly appointment during that time. However, she is really great about going out on the couch till 15 after, while waiting for a drop-in. I have yet to see her ask a student if they are waiting for a tutor. I explained to her that if she sees someone waiting, ask politely their name and if they are here for Writing, Math/Science, Language or Accounting. The last thing you want is a bunch of students waiting on the couch, frustrated!

    Kendra

    ReplyDelete