Hello, folks!
I mentored Jo last Thursday on the orange couch - I kept everything pretty informal, figuring that I should get to know her better in order for my mentoring to be successful. Although she didn't have to many questions, we spent time reviewing a tutoring session she'd had recently. She was concerned that she might not have given the student enough information in order to keep from over-directing the session. I recommended that if a student truly does not know the correct answer, the best thing to do is to explain very clearly what should be done and why so that nothing is confusing or ambiguous. We spent much of the next hour talking about her major and whatnot.
This week I plan on delving into more tutoring goodness - asking hypothetical questions and the like.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Gannon,
ReplyDeleteYour approach seemed sound and consistent w/WC practice and theory. Continue working toward this goal in your mentoring--getting newer tutors to reflect on what they do in a particular seesion and "why." Nice post!
Steve