Hey all!
I had another mentor meeting with Kathryn today. This week, Kathryn was unfortunately very, very ill with food poisoning :(. She asked me in advanced what the protocol was for calling in sick. I explained to her that we just have to let the front desk know so they could let your students know. So, this is what we talked about for a little bit.
During the rest of the session, Kathryn and I talked about a student that we both had (mine on Wednesday). The student came in today for her session with Kathryn. They discussed the paper further in detail, reviewed the notes that Nancy left, and asked questions (what could you add here, details, etc.). We collaborated about the techniques we used such as having the student talk aloud and suggesting she go in more detail about her topic, which was on cereal. In the end, Kathryn and I realized that we had a similar tutoring style.
I think this was a great session for us to talk about because we both dealt with the same draft just in different sessions – we were able to comment on each other’s tutoring skills and collaborate about certain characteristics we noticed.
Have a great weekend!
Kendra
Friday, March 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Kendra,
ReplyDeleteThere are many neat things you bring out here, but the post is skimpy in many key places. For example, I wanted to know exactly what your approach to the student's writing was and how this convereged with or deviated from Kathryn's. I also desperately wanted to know what specific techniques you discussed with your mentee and how you realized that your tutoring styles are similar. How similar? How different? How much of this similarity is due to your mentoring? You get the idea...Just keep doing what you've done on more recent postings which for the most part have been substantive, engaging, and full of useful material for commentary by other mentors.
Steve