Hey all,
I mentored Jo last Thursday, and she seemed unhappy about her current tutoring situation. In her entire time as a tutor she has only tutored three students. I imagine this must be pretty frustrating because she works Thursday for eight hours, and thus very rarely sees even one student for that whole period of time. Is there anything that can be done about this? I worry that she might feel disconnected from the Writing Center since she isn't (and can't be) doing much tutoring. Also, I should note she didn't want me to mention her discontent to y'all through the blog. I suspect she would like to be more involved but she doesn't want to ask for help. I'd like to help, but I don't know how. Any suggestions as to what can be done?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Gannon,
ReplyDeleteJo's frustration about not tutoring enough students is understandable--it is, after all, spring semester where WC activity is much less hectic than in fall. If you haven't already, please remind Jo of this reality. NO TUTOR should ever feel isolated from the larger WC community and our efforts as mentors should provide some level of comfort when dealing with such unease. Perhaps we can address this issue with more detail at the meeting...The best thing would be for Jo to actually tutor students, but in the absence of such...Has she observed you tutoring?
Steve