Hey Everyone,
I had my third mentor meeting with Kathryn today. We sat on the orange couches and collaborated on her sessions. This week, Kathryn had her first ESL session!! She was nervous, but handled it great. She did express a concern to me - when they were in the tutor training class, they watched videos that encouraged them to overlook sentance structure (if it made sense then it was OK). So, she was a bit confused, however, talked it over with the student to see what she wanted to accomplish during the session. Her student had problems with tenses along with metaphores vs. similies, so they worked on that. I was really happy how Kathryn handled this, and I definately re-enforced her! When I asked her what she could have done differently, she said that looking back at the session, she wishes she had confirmed that using similies were okay to use instead of metaphores.
Other than that, we just talked about tutor training - she was confused about the times, dates, etc.
Have a good weekend,
Kendra
Friday, March 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Kendra,
ReplyDeleteIt's good that you were there to support Kathyrn when she was working w/an ESL student. Here we delve into scheduling issues(yes,even w/Time-
Trade)--it is simply impossible to schedule ESL or LS tutors w/the same regularity as regular tutors. So, we must do our best when working w/such students. Perhaps in the future we can have some workshops that would hone our skills and better prepare us for working w/such students.
Steve