HAPPY ST. PADDY’S DAY!
So, I had another meeting with Keenan today. I was unable to observe him this past Monday because I had to study for midterms – however, he does have a weekly student Wednesday’s @ 4, so I do plan on observing him after break.
During our meeting, we talked about his two weekly students, Rachel & Ryan, who are doing great. He says that everything goes really good – but I would like to observe just kicks and giggles (also to get a feel for his tutoring style). He did express a concern to me: A student from one of his own classes (also a friend) made an appointment with him and he is worried that it will be uncomfortable. The student is coming to the WC for help on an essay that he didn’t do well on (teacher recommended students come to the LS if they did poorly on the mechanics). Keenan fears that he may come off as, “Oh, I’m better than you, because I’m helping you on a paper.” I explained to him that it’s okay to be nervous, but he can’t make the session feel uncomfortable or awkward for the student. I have never experienced this, but I did give him my two cents. I advised him to just take it like a normal session, but make sure to not get off topic by talking about kids in the class, the teacher, etc. – keep it to the writing aspect. If the student feels that uncomfortable with him, he should see the front desk and ask for another tutor to work with the student. Has this happened to anyone? I will let you all know the outcome in my next blog.
-Kendra
PS. I will not be here this Friday, and I believe Kathryn will be. So any mentor working on Friday, feel free to check with Kathryn to see how things are going with her!
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I had a similar problem happen to me last semester. A dance major friend made an appointment with me for one of her dance history papers. In a way I think it benefited her to be with me because I know a lot about her personality and her writing style. We were able to really throw ourselves into the session. It was awkward at first, however she had an understanding that I was there to help her and not necessarily be her best friend. Hope this helps?
ReplyDeleteHi Kendra and all,
ReplyDeleteI think by continuing to observe Keenan's sessions, you will get a better sense of what sort of dynamics occur in his sessions. Although everything could conceivably going "great" or even "good" your observation may reveal some weaknessess that mentorship may work toward correcting. It's not necessarily anything major, but you're correct in being concerned--yes sometimes saying that things are going smoothly is not necessarily the case.
Re: tutoring friends--again your instincts and advice are correct;focus exclusively on the writing and avoiding personal stuff. I agree that the important thing here is being comfortable in a session, regardless of how well we know that person. From Alex's brief response it seems that a level of professionalism can still be maintained in sessions, and knowing that person's writing style and personality actually enhance that session. This is really interesting and something to keep in mind FOR ALL OF US. Of course, professionalism should always be maintained and in those circumstances where we feel a session may not proceed as well as it should, then the option, of course, is for that student to work with another tutor. Again, the position you guys have is very unique--teacher? peer? friend? some combination of all of these? The issue for tutors then is not only how you fulfill these roles but at which particular times and under which circumstances. Nice work!
Steve
Thanks so much! I shared these examples to him, hoping that he will think about this in the future.
ReplyDeleteHey all,
ReplyDeleteI really want to know more about how Keenan and the rest of the new tutors are doing so far. I remember that when I was at this point things seemed very black and white; sessions either felt horrible or wonderful. I think we can all look back at those first sessions we've had and with time and experience we are able to unpack them better than in the moment. When Keenan says "great" or "good" what exactly does that mean? Having him break down a full session for you may reveal some weaknesses that you could help him with or detail some really amazing practices he's picked up quickly. Either way hearing and sharing that info would be really helpful and may inform what you notice in the future when you observe him.
I've also had sessions with friends once or twice and I have mixed feelings about the situation. Sometimes it does allow for a more direct and focused session but other times it can create some very odd dynamics of authority within the session. It all depends on the individual situation and your relationship to the writer. Like everyone has said, keeping the conversation focused on the writing and reinforcing the "peer" element seems to be the best route.
-Brian