Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Alex R.

Hey all,

Tim and I had another session today. This one was rather productive. He told me that he was observed today. So, we talked about how that worked out for him. Apparently, he wasn't all that nervous, even though it was during his most difficult session (the student with cerebral-palsy). During his session today, he focused on content with the student rather than grammar and punctuation and things like that and it seemed to work for him. The student was much more involved in the session and willing to do the work. In the end, his observer told him that he did a good job.
The next topic that we tackled was dealing with an unprepared student. He had another student that had to do an essay on a book, but the student didn't bring the book with him. So in this instance, Tim worked with the student just getting his ideas down on a page. He talked with the student and asked him questions using the prompts on the assignment sheet. The student left with ideas for the paper. I think that Tim did a good job in this situation.
Another way to have handled the situation above, which was the next topic in our conversation, was to use Inspiration 8. This resulted in a little tutorial of the program. Just to have a student write something down is important, but I feel that it is also beneficial to have more than one form of brainstorming. That is why I use the program with students who don't bring in their work. Using Inspiration 8 allows them to leave with both a diagram and an outline of the discussion in the session. I'm not saying that Tim did anything wrong, I just wanted to give him another tool that he could use, if he wanted to, in a situation with an unprepared student.

2 comments:

  1. I have been having problems with a student who constantly comes unprepared as well. I think it's great that Tim made him write his ideas down. For me if a student is unprepared I ask them if they are other writing assignments they could do for other classes. If that's the case we work on that. Then I send a session report to the ICW teacher and tell them that we worked on something from another class. This may be slightly rude but I do let that teacher know that the student forgot their paper or book. I tell my students that at least the teacher knows you worked on something. Also, then the teacher knows that it is not entirely your fault that the student isn't getting anything done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex R,
    If a tutor has enough knowledge along w/some confidence in h/her ability, then even the most difficult sessions can be productive. It is very reassuring that Tim's growing confidence is resulting in some productive sessions. In terms of unprepared students; this is something we all will encounter in our tutoring and covered extensively in WCTP. Tim's attempt to motivate the student to write was good and your suggestions along with Alex N's even better--again without the proper materials (no book! com'on!)the tutor's effectiveness is impeded. Again a case of "do the best you can" and having as many options available to help the student in any way possible even if reluctance persists.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete