Hello, hello!
Last week you may recall me saying I would reflect on Mike's tutoring of me and share my findings with y'all this week. Well, it was a wee bit inconclusive, so I ended being tutored by him again this week. I came to him with three short essays, all about comedy. Although this is a subject Mike isn't so familiar with, he was able to ask a lot of excellent questions and would offer direct advice when I asked for it. He did a great job working with what he was given and going great spans of distances. For example, I had to write about what comedians or shows made me laugh, and I was encouraged to be specific- thus as I had to describe to him very specific comedy bits he wasn't familiar with. Still, he was still able to talk to me about it and help me word my wordless thoughts into hard ideas. By the end of the session, I had a strong outline for these three essays a head of me. This session shows me that Mike can handle sessions involving subjects he knows nothing about pretty admirably.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Gannon,
ReplyDeleteThanks for the follow-up to last week's post! As I stated previously, I think this is a great idea to "reverse tutor" and see what your mentee's style is like from an alternate perspective. Ultimately, you benefit as well by "seeing the other side" but so does the mentee because you are able to (perhaps) identify key strengths that are effective along w/areas that would need more improvement. So, in effect, what you're doing here is mentoring without some of the formal dressings of mentoring itself. Please keep us all posted on this practice--perhaps it is something the rest of the group or even all tutors might think about using in their sessions from time to time.
Steve