Heyyy kids!
Stephen and I had our last mentor meeting of the year since I won't be at work next Friday afternoon because I'm in a dance show.
This week Stephen had a number of drop ins that came in to simply meet their class requirements. We talked about how frustarating it can be to have students who come in at the last minute to make their class requirements. Stephen tries to make the best out of these sessions. He tells his students that there is always something that can be improved with papers. He said most of the papers were sound, he just tried to help the student fine tune small things in the structure.
Since it was our last session we reflected on this semester's mentoring.
He thinks that mentoring sessions are a great way to create a bond with a coworker. He really enjoyed being able to discuss his sessions and hear about my tutor stories and discuss what each of us would do in different situations. We created a list of his weaknesses and strengths. He is a very strong communicator and very good at making students feel comfortable. Sometimes he feels he can be too directive when students seem to not want to participate. I told him that that is very normal and it's sometimes ok and necessary to be directive.
To finish up the session I gave him a tutorial on inspiration 8. I had him help me create a teaching philosphy. He understands why inspiration 8 would be beneficial to some students.
Ok well that's all folks!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Alex and all,
ReplyDeleteLet me just agree here that working with last-minute students can be frustrating due to a number of factors as you all well know--apathy, just coming in for the requirement/better grade etc. Stephen appears to have handled these situations well by showing patience and encouragement to these writers. Where it really can get problematic is when such 'laters' have many issues with the writing and the assignment is due soon! Here is where some real innovation on the tutor's part must come into play.
I really think your reflecting on the entire semester of mentoring with Stephen, and writig a teaching philosophy are both excellent ideas. I also encourage ALL MENTORS TO DO THIS WITH THEIR MENTEES IN THE FINAL WEEK. In fact, this activity seems so productive while also providing some form of closure for the semester that it may become a permanent part of this program in the future!
Re: Directive tutoring methods. At the risk of repeating myself, I find absolutely nothing wrong with being directive in sessions (or even particular parts of sessions) if the need arises. Sometimes out of frustration, I will resort to more directive measures--let's face it group, sometimes minimalist tactics often fail to get the point across! I really hope that new tutors see the value of using more directive approaches in sessions and not relying exclusively on minimalist tactics just because they are peers. It was good to hear from many mentors who defended directive measures at the mid-semester meeting. Alex, thanks for all of your mentoring with Stephen this semester. Bravo Alex!
Steve
Hey Alex,
ReplyDeleteI am very encouraged by Stephen's belief that there is always something to improve upon in a piece of writing. As tutors we need to keep broadening our horizons in order to work effectively with a varied selection of writers who will require or request different feedback than others.
I also really appreciate your tactic of having him help you develop a teaching philosophy. This might be a beneficial exercise for all of the tutors at the WC in order to identify and articulate their own approaches to education.
Thanks for your work this semester!
-Brian